Share/Bookmark

12/14/2009

Hugh Oughta Know Better Than to Take Art for Grant(ed)

Elizabeth Taylor, Andy Warhol, painting, Hugh Grant
NEW YORK — In 2001, we all watched as Hugh Grant vied for Bridget Jones's affection. In the same year, the British actor also competed for an Andy Warhol painting up for auction. But to Grant's "horror" - as he puts it - he ended up with the winning bid.

So why did the actor bid on a painting that he didn't want in the first place? Alcohol. "It all began with drink," Grant said.

After a two-day drunken binge, Grant ordered an assistant to bid on Warhol's 1963 portrait of Elizabeth Taylor, simply entitled Liz. "I'd been having a drunken dinner with my father the night before, and I said, 'We ought to go see my brother Jamie. You know, the Concorde's amazing.' And he said, 'I hear it is.' So I bought him a Concorde ticket and we went," Grant explained. "We had lunch, drank a lot of beer. And I was thinking about some stuff in the Sotheby's auction and I saw the Liz Taylor."

His assistant, simply following his intoxicated orders, bid on the piece. And "even worse" - she won. Luckily for him, Grant eventually sold the painting for $21-million in 2007; his $3.25-million investment earning an $18-million profit. Is Grant an actor turned art connoisseur? Even he admits, he's not even close.
______________________________________________________________________________________
[Image: “Liz” (1963) by Andy Warhol.]

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails